Wednesday 7 March 2007

At Last The Weather Has Cleared

...So I've been busy busy busy in the garden. I've noticed I spend more time cutting back overgrown weeds coming over the fence than I get to spend on digging and planting. So this year, am trying a new approach and going beyond the boundaries, to tackle the root of the problem, so to speak. There are two problem areas - a piece of council owned wasteland which my garden backs on to and the garden to the left of mine, which has been left to overgrow for years. It's this next door garden which causes most of the problems, as there's good soil to feed the weeds and the fence between us is low. Until recently it's been a forest of brambles and bindweed - then a gardener (allegedly) turned up and cleared the lot down to ground level with a 3 day long bonfire.



This was a stroke of luck for me - he was just completing the job when he found out he'd cleared the wrong garden. So the last two days I have been doing a lot of fence hopping to dig up the bramble roots from the other side of the fence. Luckily they are coming up quite easily after all the rain of recent months. I have been in a hurry to get on with it before they start growing back. Now that I have done the hard work, I may ask the housholder if I can plant some spuds over there - there's plenty of room now and they will slow down the other weeds.


I have also been tackling the council wasteland. This was the starting point. I have made a good dent in it and, weather permitting, will continue to push it back over the next few days.


I did manage to spend a bit of time in my own garden today too - have started digging over the beds, though it's still looking a bit of a sorry mess. More sunshine please for the next few days...

No comments: